Extra-Judicial Killings and Human Rights Abuse of Peaceful Protesters
October 21st, 2020
- We condemn outrightly the reckless killing of peaceful protesters, 15 youths who were murdered on Tuesday, October 20th, 2020 in Lagos, Nigeria by members of the police force. To us, this act is inhuman, unprofessional, and antithetical to the fundamental essence and responsibility of the police.
- People demonstrating shouldn’t be faced with guns and violence because every person has the right to express their opinion safely and the government should protect them.
- Galaxy for Peace and Integrity Initiative notes with dismay that the cases of peaceful protesters are crimes against basic human rights and democracy, covered with discrimination. We condemn any parties that are involved in a series of violent acts against unarmed civilians in a peaceful protest in Lagos.
- We, therefore, called for an end to the police brutality against protesters and urged the federal government to stabilize the situation and save people’s lives. Families of victims must also be compensated accordingly for their losses.
- We must stand with Nigerians who are peacefully demonstrating for police reform and seeking an end to corruption in their democracy. We encourage the government to engage in a good-faith dialogue with civil society to address these long-standing grievances and work together for a more just and inclusive Nigeria.
Muhammad Faris Hersanda Wibowo
Galaxy for Peace and Integrity Initiative